Friday 27 February 2015

Baking Soda & Vinegar Balloons

Have you tried blowing a balloon without using your mouth or pump? I have! hehe....

This is another activity that you can do with baking soda and vinegar. As we all should know, baking soda mixed with vinegar generates carbon dioxide (I just learned that when I googled it up as I am writing this post hehe). This time, rather than letting loose the carbon dioxide generated as in our previous baking soda and vinegar activity, we trapped the gas in a balloon!

Here's how we did it:

  1. I handed Aishah and Maryam a balloon each and asked them to write or draw whatever they wanted on their balloons. 
  2. I put in some baking soda into the balloons.
  3. I put in some vinegar into 2 plastic bottles.
  4. The balloon holes were attached to the mouths of the bottles carefully, making sure that no baking soda drops into the bottles yet. 
  5. I then asked Aishah and Maryam to shake their bottles rigorously, allowing the baking soda in their balloons to drop into the vinegar filled bottles.



And there you go! The balloons were blown up, filled with carbon dioxide. The girls were surprised and excited to see the doodles on their balloons growing bigger and bigger.

Maryam's balloon lasted for several days, and she proudly brings along her balloon everywhere she went in the house, showing it with pride to other family members. Aishah's balloon lasted only for a few hours, though, because somehow the balloon tore a bit and hence the gas slowly came out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment