Friday 20 February 2015

Baking Soda & Vinegar Activity

That day I wanted to cook something without leaving the girls to be babysat by the TV as usual (yes, I'm still that kind of mom, sigh... may Allah give me strength to change this!), so I decided to try this simple activity.

I covered a tray with a layer of baking soda (buy the ones sold in bulk in baking shops. It's cheaper there), drop some different colours of food colourings in a few small bowls of vinegar, and we're ready to go.

I handed the girls a dropper each and here comes the tricky part - teaching the girls how to use them. Once the girls got the hang of it, I asked them to drop the coloured vinegar onto the baking soda using the dropper. Fizzzzzz goes the baking soda, as the chemical reaction takes place between the two.

 Early drops

Colours start to fill up
 
Almost entirely coloured!

It was a simple activity, but it really got both girls grossly engaged. They didn't want to stop! Finally I managed to cook peacefully without any disturbance from both girls. Unfortunately I didn't have any more baking soda to let the girls have a second round of colouring!

The activity didn't have any resulting end product. It's a shame to see that nice art being thrown away, but this was what I did before disposing it:

Fizzzzz away, all you baking soda! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment