Tuesday 2 December 2014

Number Matching & Addition Game

Aishah's number recognition is quite good, but she's still confused sometimes, especially numbers 4, 6 and 9. So I got the girls to play a numbers game this morning.

First, I took 10 sheets of A4 papers and wrote numbers 1-10 in each of the papers. The sheets of paper are then shuffled and I asked Aishah to arrange the numbers in order. When I was asking Aishah whether number 4 is after or before 3, it was that moment that I realised that Aishah was still confused with the concept of 'after' and 'before'.

It then became a session of visualising to her the meaning of 'after' and 'before'. She soon got a grip of it and managed to put the numbers in order. We had to count 1-10 together a few times during the exercise to get Aishah to remember the order of the numbers :)


I then took 10 sheets of post its and again wrote numbers 1-10 on each. Now it's Maryam's turn to play! I handed the post its to Maryam and asked her to match the numbers on the post its with the numbers on the A4 papers. She didn't understand at first, and stuck the numbers on the floor instead. But after Aishah showed her an example, she finally understood and successfully matched the numbers. I had to refrain Aishah from telling Maryam the answer every time! hehe...


Then it's back to Aishah. Thankfully, because she has started to become restless! I wrote '+1' next to each numbers on the A4 papers, and asked Aishah to stick the answers i.e. the numbers on the post its. Of course, I had to turn number 1 on the post it into number 11.

Aishah has a board book introducing the concept of +1 and I've read that to her numerous times. She kind of memorises them, so that helped a lot. I think she hasn't actually fully understands the concept of additions yet. She just gets the idea that the answer is the number after the number on the A4, but she sometimes took the number before too! Yup, looks like I still need to work on the concept of before and after with Aishah :)


Maryam, whom before that did the number matching activity, kept saying that Aishah was wrong, hehe.... Will definitely try this activity again in the future for more complicated number additions.... After Aishah has really gotten good grips on the concept of after and before, of course ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment